DIY Photo Coasters & GUSSY Inspiration Workshop

We all have a favorite DIY craft tutorial.
There are zillions of them out there in blog land.

Today, I want to share MY favorite DIY tutorial.

{yes, it’s one of my own}

I published it earlier this year,

and 25,000 hits later, is my most visited post.

WOW!

My girl Gussy,

{I met her at Blog Sugar so that makes us BFF’s}

is hosting a DIY Project link up and I thought this would be the perfect time to revisit my PHOTO TILE COASTERS.

{Me & Gussy}

ALSO the holiday’s are coming up, and these make for the PERFECT gift idea…

………

DIY TILE PHOTO COASTERS

Supplies:
4″x4″ tile coasters
white tissue paper
printer
scotch tape
scissors
Mod Podge (Matte or Gloss)
paint brush
Krylon acrylic clear coat
black felt with adhesive backing
Let’s get to work!
1. Print out a 4×6 photo onto white tissue paper.
To help the tissue feed thru your printer, Cut out an 8×10 piece of tissue paper and scotch tape it to a piece of 8×10 card stock.
2. Cut your tissue print down to 4″x4″
3. Brush a thin coat of Mod Podge over your tile and paste your photo onto the tile. Let dry COMPLETELY!
4. Once dry, put a thin coat of Mod Podge over your photo. Let dry completely.
Repeat 2 more times, making sure each coat is dry before you do another, or else the tissue will rip.

5. Once dry, seal with Kylon acrylic clear coat. I did 3 coats of this, making sure the previous coat is dry before you add another.

6. To complete the coaster, cut out a 4″x4″ piece of black felt. and attached it to the back.

7. Project Complete!

Wrap up 4 coasters with some ribbon or twine and you have a wonderful GIFT!

*I’ve done this project with gloss mod podge and matte mod podge.
Although completely different looks, both look fantastic.

Gussy

Comments

1. Wow, Lindsay… these are fantastic! I totally see why you’ve had 25,000 hits on the original! Great gift idea!

Visiting from Gussy Sews

XxOo~Melissa

2. Liz says:

I remember seeing these and thinking they were super cute. I think I might have to try them.

3. Amy Ogilvie says:

The blogger conference looks like it was amazing and I can not wait to make the coasters!!!!

4. ashley says:

i love these!! what a great idea :)

5. Ashley says:

Ooh, those are ridiculously cute!

6. Meg says:

LOVE your new blog design, gf!! So cute! And these coaster are adorb as well! :)

MEGAN LAND
    xx

7. I LOVE these!!! I’m so making some!!!

8. Taylor says:

I love this idea!!!! I’m definitely going to do this, like today. I’m going to hobby lobby now!!!! I’m so glad I found your awesome blog! Can’t wait to get to know you! Hope you come visit me too!!! New follower!!!!

9. Anna @ IHOD says:

These are the cutest gift idea for family members Lindsay!

10. sharstin says:

such a great idea! so fun~

11. Bri says:

Wow, I am super behind in reading and commenting on all my fav blogs…forgive me! This project is soooooo fun! Would love to make these for my mother-in-law. Thx for the inspiration!

12. Elizabeth Scalzo says:

Thanks a million.

13. Nancy says:

Hi. I am trying to make the coasters as a gift. I am having a ton of trouble. How did you get the tissue paper photo onto the coaster without a lot of wrinkles? Secondly, after the photo is on and dried, I put the first coat of mod podge on and it smeared the ink. What am I doing wrong? I think it’s a totally cute itea, but it’s frustrating me completely.

14. milena says:

Hi! I have the same questions about the tissue and type of ink used?? Was it laser or ink jet? Would be nice tohey some answers since all of our questions are the same..

15. Jessica says:

Love these!! We are making gifts this year for our family Christmas exchange, these might have to be my gift!!

16. I am in the process of making these coasters and they are not turning out to great. I printed colored pictures and I am wondering if I was supposed to use black and white pics. Can someone please help me! It looks like the colors are running and it’s hard to to see the pics. I am afraid I just ruined the coasters.

17. Jessica says:

Hi! I’m noticing several people have asked you about the tissue paper, one person even asked “I have a question about how you printed the photo on tissue paper? Can you tell me what kind of paper you used?
    Thanks a million.”

and your reply was:
    Hi Elizabeth! No problem at all! Let me know if you have any questions

Several other people have asked and you’ve not replied to any of them.

What type of tissue paper did you use? Kleenex? Or wrapping tissue paper? How did you get it to print on the tissue at all?

Thank you, in advance, for your reply! :-)

• Lindsay says:

HI Jessica. I typically respond to my main post on this tutorial. I used wrapping tissue paper. I explained how I got it to print in the tutorial. I taped tissue paper onto a piece of paper and fed it through the printer. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Lindsay Roberts

1. [...] Personalised Photo Coasters – Great idea for grandparents [...]

2. [...]  Photo Coasters Tutorial ~ These photos coasters are any easy, fun and affordable gift.  Great for grandparents who are [...]