Admitting Failure

I recently started taking a parenting class at my church.

It’s entitled 24/7 Family ,

Since welcoming the terrible twos,

I have been praying immensely for God’s guidance.

The truth is, I am struggling as a parent.
I feel as though every bit of discipline I preach,
is ineffective.
I feel as though I am treading water.
I feel as though I am failing Landyn and I both.
Signing up for this class was a hard task for me.
To me, it meant admitting failure as a parent.
It meant desperation.
Want to know something though?

God is so good.

I walked in that room last Monday morning,
and I saw 150 other moms in the EXACT SAME SHOES.
Their faces screamed desperation just like me.

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” -Joshua 24:15

I have been reminded that if God is the basis of our home, then everything else will flow together beautifully.

I have been reminded that I am not parenting from the heart, but rather out of pure frustration.

This self taught class taught by a highly respected Mom of 6,
has already been such a blessing on my heart.
I am ready to gain the wisdom and encouragement to tackle this season of my life.
Lindsay

Comments

1. Rena says

SO beautiful. Good for you for taking the first step to helping yourself and your family out. What a brave move. Good luck, I know you will ace this one!

2. says

I am so sorry you are going through a rough time! That’s good your church has that class though. I love the top picture of you and Landyn. Beautiful!

3. Hanna says

Oh Lindsay, I love this post. My friend I too am struggling with the terrible twos. Honestly, I am afraid. Everyday I think to myself, okay I can do this and then he gets worse. I totally understand Lindsay. It’s so hard to stay even and consistent and not get mad or give in. Right there with you my friend!

4. says

parenting God’s way is very difficult. you don’t just deal with behavior, but you also deal with the heart of the child. it’s tough, but will bring you blessings that overflow in the future… He promises us that! keep it up… you are one among many who feel the same way you do.

5. says

good luck pretty lady! i love this post…i know parenting can be the most challenging thing in the world sometimes. cling to God, he will show you what to do. you are an inspiration to me. xoxo

6. says

I know it feels like you may be ineffective at times, but this too shall pass. I have so been there girl! When the twins were younger I would lay down every night and feel like I was failing them and feel guilty. It really does have to do with the age. 2 is hard. =) I know you are a good mommy. Just keep doing what you know in your heart to be right and it WILL get easier.
    Hugs!

7. says

You are already being a good mama by being able to admit that you’re having a hard time. Showing our kids Humility and OUR need to rely on Him is soooo big. So good for you girl! You’re doing it more right than you know.

8. says

I feel you Momma! That is exactly why I signed up for the Mommas Bible Study at our church. It has been SO rewarding and I already feel better and feel myself turning to Him before anyone else! AMAZING!! XOXO!!

9. says

this is a beautiful post–and I know EXACTLY how you feel! thank you again for your raw honesty and for sharing bits of your faith–it makes me stronger :)

10. says

I’m here from Little Miss Momma and I have to tell you recovering from Depression is the hardest thing I’ve ever done(and the withdrawal from the meds is awful). I also overcame it through a lot of prayer. Thank you for being so honest and telling your story. Furthermore, I totally understand feeling a loss when it comes to motherhood. Some days they listen(I have 3 under 3), some they don’t. It’s getting better as they get older. Having a Christ centered home has really helped w/ the frustrations. Good luck!

11. says

Beautiful post girlie!!!! I so wish I lived closer and could go with you!!!!!!! Lexie and I have been going through a tough time with terrible twos!!!! We seem to butt heads A LOT lately!!!! This would be a GREAT subject for you to blog about (what you learn)!!!! You will have me glued to every word!! ;)

12. says

Taking a parenting class doesn’t mean your a failure :) it just means you want to be the best mama you can be! That’s awesome :)
    The terrible twos are rough, it every year is a challenge. I go through times where it is hard and times where it is easier. Being a mom is the hardest job ever. We just have to rely on God :)
    Let us know how the class goes

13. says

You are NOT a failure….you are a real, human, down to earth mama that God is using GREATLY in the life of your daughter…and in the lives of the women who read your blog Lindsay! I so enjoyed reading your post over at LMM today, and I loved this one just as much…because you are honest, open, and someone who knows she’s not perfect but she’s forgiven and loved! That’s the story of so many of us out here…and it is such a joy to share these same struggles knowing that I am not alone! Thanks lady!

14. says

i am right there with you girl. the twos are HARD. and i refuse to call them the ‘terrible twos’ haha. anyway, i hope it gets better for the both of us. and i’m sad we didn’t get to meet up :(

15. says

You are an amazing woman, wife and mother!! Life is hard at times and you are incredible….it will get easier. I’m so glad you have an outlet at your church! xoxoxo

16. Viri says

I came across your lovely and inspirational blog at a great time. Our small family of 3 has just entered the world of terrible two’s. I am currently there and at times find myself struggling. So many moments after a tantrum has passed and I finally manage to get myself and son together, I begin to think and wonder, “am I failing as a parent.” The wonderful thing about this, and there is a bright side, is that you are not alone. At the end of the day or after an incident, we just have to remember, thats not who are children are. They are growing and learning and of course testing limits and pushing boundaries. I think it’s wonderful to seek outside sources, the knowledge we gain only makes us that much stronger as a parent. :)