Birthday Perspectives

In birthday’s past, I felt the need to pamper myself, and not feel an ounce of guilt.

In fact, I soaked it up.

This year, I shifted my priorities.

I wanted my 29th birthday to be all about Landyn. I wanted her to feel a part of mommy’s special day.

She led. I followed.

I woke up this morning with a slew of happy birthday wishes, and I smiled.

I smiled because May 7 floods my mind with happy thoughts.

My first puppy was gifted to me on this day.

Childhood memories where Mom and Dad would surprise me with a day at Disney Land.

The elaborate birthday parties.

My momma’s special gifts….something about even just the packaging, made my tummy flutter.

The days in High School where my best friends would make me feel like a celebrity for a day, wrap my locker, and shower me with balloons and flowers.

My 16th birthday. A license to drive AND a new car. I thought I ruled the world.

The birthday dinners at the beach.

My first drink at midnight on my 21st birthday with an old friend. Followed by many more…

The birthday love from my old co workers that I miss so much.

Surprise birthday parties.

……

With the events of the months past, I promised myself I wasn’t going to let this year be any different.

I was grateful that I had no where else to be today, but with my favorite girl.

So we packed up the car, and drove to the Malibu coast.

I blasted our feel good music, honked the horn through each tunnel as good luck calls, and glanced out the rear view mirror and bid 28 good bye.

The way I see it, my 28th year was a place of complete brokenness. My hope is 29 will transform me to greatness.

And 30, you linger as long as you possibly can, thank you very much.

I’ll continue to embrace the pain, truly feel it through the depths of my soul, and move on.

I recognize the importance of being broken, and I never want to loose sight of how this feels.

What I do know, is with age, comes experience. Experience builds character.

With that, I will embrace 29 and welcome it with open arms.

I will continue onward and watch as I grow into myself.

Today and forever, my priorities lie in the eyes of this little girl.

Watching her blow out my birthday candles tonight, was my perfect celebratory moment.

Bring it 29!

Comments

1. sarah lynch says:

Happy Birthday!! Hope this year brings you so much happiness, love, and new adventures:) So happy you were able to celebrate with your favorite girl today:) And don’t worry, 30 isn’t too bad:)

2. Erin Tagle says:

Happy birthday!

My 29th year was my best year! I am sure it’s to do you well also!

3. Lynn says:

Happy Birthday!

Interestingly enough, my son’s birthday is today as well. He turned 21.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love your honesty.

4. Happy Birthday love!! I hope it was magical with that little beauty by your side!! XOXO!!

5. Shirley Lupton says:

Happy Birthday!

6. Shane says:

It seems like so many birthdays this month! Mine was Sunday. Have a fabulous day! xo

7. Sounds like you had the perfect birthday! I’m so glad!
    Hugs to you friend!

8. sounds like my kind of birthday. ps – i love her ruffles!

9. I am SO glad you had an amazing birthday!! and what better way to spend it than with your sweet baby girl ;) I wish I lived closer I would take you out for a birthday drink for sure…rain check for this summer when I am in town! love ya!

10. happy happy birthday my dear!

11. Hanna says:

happy birthday sweetie

12. Amanda @ Lillys & Lollipops says:

Happy birthday a day late! Hope you had a great day! On my birthday last year I took my daughter to the zoo, so I totally understand where you’re coming from. I didn’t want a day to go shopping for myself or flowers and balloons, I just wanted to spend quality time with my little family :)

13. Happy Birthday a day late sweet friend! Sending you BIG birthday hugs! You are an amazing mama and a beautiful woman! Continue to soak up every moment with your sweet baby girl!

14. sharstin says:

happy birthday cute gal! you are amazing mom and such an inspiration!

15. Christina says:

Happy Belated birthday sweet friend! I’m SO sorry I missed the official blogland birthday wishes! :) Life has been crazy! I love the pictures (and Landyn’s hat!!!) It looks like it was a great day! :) For what it’s worth…30 isn’t bad, I promise! ;)

Love ya!

16. Sorry I’m late! Happy belated birthday. You have such great perspective and are a great mommy. You and I are just 3 months apart!

17. misssrobin says:

What a beautiful post. How wonderful that you let your daughter lead. Experiencing life through our children’s eyes truly changes things. Happy birthday.

Stopping by from SITS.

18. These are such beautiful pictures. I’m glad you had a lovely day :)

Visiting from SITS Sharefest :)

19. Rachelle says:

Happy Birthday, beautiful lady! xo

20. geisslein says:

happe belated birthday…what a creative and lovely blog you have!
    greetings from germany, geisslein

21. geisslein says:

happy belated birthday! :-)
    what a creative and nice blog you have!
    greetings from germany, geisslein

1. [...] world to me. {You can see my post on birthday perspectives from last year that still rings true here} Filed Under: about me, Birthday, Family, Landyn, Mommyhood, My birthday, my past, my story, [...]